Disaster Preparedness Checklist
- Do you have emergency numbers posted by the phone?
- Do you have an emergency meeting place outside your home? If family members are separated while evacuating your home, where do you meet?
- Do you have an out of state and a local relative or friend for family members to call if separated during a disaster?
- Do you have enough water for each family member and pet for at least 3 days? You should have one gallon of water per person per day, stored in factory sealed containers. Rotate your supply of water regularly and use before the expiration date.
- Do you have a supply of food which requires no refrigeration or cooking? Try to include items which have vitamins, minerals and protein. Fortified cereals are a good source of this. Rotate your supply of food to keep it fresh. Be sure you have a manual can opener as well.
- Do you have a water-free method for washing your hands? Wipes such as baby wipes are the best for this, followed by alcohol hand sanitizers.
- Do you have a battery operated radio and extra fresh batteries?
- Do you have a flashlight, batteries, candles, matches, etc. to provide a source of light?
- Do you have a first aid kit to treat minor injuries? Are your routine medications readily available?
- Are your important documents stored in a waterproof and fireproof container?
- Do you have a plan for your pets?
This checklist is a good place to start. Think about other items which may be important to your family. For further information on disaster preparedness, check out the Red Cross website at www.redcross.org.