Outreach Ministry is a group that reaches out to serve the needs of others with emphasis on the local community. This ministry achieves its goals through the efforts of volunteers who give of their time and talent along with the generosity of the congregation. This group is responsible for monthly collection of donations to help those in need.
2020 Desert Cross Outreach Ministry Calendar
- January – Blood Drive on Sunday, January 19; Restock School Supplies for January 4-26
- February – SouperBowl Special Hunger Jar on Super Bowl Sunday and food collection from February 2-23. Both for Kyrene Resource Center.
- March – Safe Sleep Baby Box collection for AZDCS from March 1-29. Shoebox Ministry purse/personal items for Mother's Day in Tempe from March 5-April 10
- April – Blood Drive on Sunday, April 26
- May – Sunday Hunger Jars for water for Kyrene Resource Center and Grace Lutheran Heat Respite Program
- June – Back to School Collection in Tempe for Kyrene Resource Center and Step Up School and in Gilbert for Concordia Charter School from June 7-28
- July – Undies Sundays for Kyrene Resource Center from July 4-26
- August – Hunger Jar Collection to support the needs of Kyrene Resource Center from August 1-30
- September – Blanket and Jacket Drive for Paz de Cristo & Kyrene Resource Center
from September 6-27
- October – Blood Drive on October 18; start Be Thankful Food Drive for Kyrene Resource Center in Tempe and Concordia Charter School in Gilbert from October 3-November 22
- November – Be Thankful food drive for Kyrene Resource Center in Tempe and Concordia Charter School in Gilbert continues until November 22; Turkey Sunday in Tempe for Kyrene Resource Center is Sunday, November 22; Angel Tree Collection starts November 21
- December – Angel Tree collection in Tempe ends December 20 for Kyrene Resource families
The Tempe campus is always accept toiletries for several homeless programs. We also accept eyeglasses for Lion’s Club, pop tabs for Ronald McDonald House, gently used shoes for Kyrene Resource Center, and coupons and Campbell’s Soup labels for Step Up School. Please place these items in the appropriate box or opening in the Outreach Cabinet in the corner of the narthex. If your donation is too large, please place behind the doors in the front of the cabinet. *Please note: Do not place perishable items in the large collection bins.
The Gilbert campus has an on-going collection of Box Tops (each one earns 10 cents), empty ink cartridges (each one earns a $2 credit), gently used tennis shoes, used uniforms (blue or khaki bottoms and red or blue polo shirts), and used sweatshirts or sweaters for Concordia Charter School. We are also collecting travel toiletries for I-HELP.